A not-to-be-missed opportunity to see a talk by American climber, photographer and film maker, Glen Denny, on the golden age of Yosemite climbing and Camp 4 in the 1960s. Glen's black and white photos documenting that era are fully deserving of the accolade iconic.
Now in his early seventies, Glen Denny, will be giving a talk at The Electric Mountain Visitor Centre
in Llanberis on September 17th at 7 p.m. In 2007, Patagonia Books, published Glen's extraordinary photos, including many that had never previously been seen, in the hardback, Yosemite in the Sixties
. That year it won the Banff Best Book in the mountain image category.
On the Patagonia website
the book description includes: "Denny quickly mastered the effects of light on rock but his special gift is for these portraits of climbers in their element, for revealing the climber's face in the unselfconscious moment of obsession on a route, of pleasure in camp, of awe to be in such a place."
Glen has only visited the UK twice before, once in the 1970s to study and a couple of years ago to speak at the Kendal Mountain Film Festival.
Glen made the third ascent of the Nose, El Capitan, in 1963, with Layton Kor and Steve Roper and his list of first ascents include:
- - East Face of Washington Column (now known as Astroman), 1959, with Warren Harding and Chuck Pratt
- - West Face of the Leaning Tower, 1962, with Warren Harding and Al Macdonald
- - North Face of the Rostrum, 1962, with Warren Harding
- - Dihedral Wall, El Capitan, 1962, with Ed Cooper and Jim Baldwin
- - Kor-Denny Route, North Face of Sentinel Rock, 1963, with Layton Kor
- - The Prow, Washington Column, 1969, with Royal Robbins
Read more about Glen Denny and a previous lecture at Boulder Weekly
. You can see some of Glen's images at glendenny.com
To reserve a ticket (cost: £8) email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Location: Electric Mountain Visitor Centre, Llanberis
Organiser Email: email@example.com
Back To What's On List